Sunday 6 November 2016

The Incident That Changed Me

It's been almost three months since I faced what might be the biggest accident of my life. I injured my spine, just a day before the Indian Independence Day – 14th of August, 2016. The most difficult consequence is that I can’t feel my legs; the most beautiful one, that I understood how “everything happens for a reason.”

People all around me say that when you’re in trouble, only those who really care about you will come to help, to make you smile, to make you feel better. It wasn’t until this happened that I understood the true essence of this statement. Some people also say that I’m way too mature for my age – I’m going to be 15 – but that’s perfectly fine, especially when they use this to praise me. I mean, who doesn’t like to be praised, right?

Around two weeks before my accident, I was in a teenager crisis, fighting with whom I considered to be my closest friends. One reason was they had made new friends, with whom I was very uncomfortable. Another, I had suddenly become so dependent on my friends that I would never like to be left alone. I guess I had just never come out of my class 9th popularity. Last year, in class 9th , I was the General Secretary of my school, and this had made a huge difference in my life. I was popular, interacted with so many students and teachers at all times. Such a busy time it was, being a part of the student council. Then came class 10. A new life, a new world. The student council changed, and I realised how arrogant I had become. I was shocked the day I realised that I wasn’t the same silly bugger who could get along, company or not. In fact, friends were all that kept me going at school. Of course, I was aware that I had become a part of a lot of gossip, but some perfectly horrid creature in my mind just kept telling me, “They’re just jealous of you babe! You don’t need to worry!”

Thank god, I realised at the right time what the consequence of this could be. After that time came these two weeks, when my friends had got over me, but unfortunately, I was a bit too late to get adjusted to all this. Then God decided to give me a break from all this tumult in my life, and here he put me, in my bed for a month, then sitting for another one and a half.

As the first two weeks passed by, I noticed that even though my friends made new friends and were hanging out with them, they never really forgot me. And those whom I wouldn’t bear to talk with, actually came to visit me twice or thrice till I came home. All this wonderful stuff happens to me even today, almost three months after the life-changing day of my life.

Truly amazing, how tough times change people. I really thank God for making me the person I am, not making me cry at any point, or become weak. I guess now I know, why most of those who know me, call me a Little Lioness!

28 comments:

  1. Good Job Garima.....full and proper utilization of time.You really have a strong will power.i could not come to see you (sorry for that) in the hospital and even after you were discharged..maybe because of other jobs but one of the reasons was i by myself could not gather enough courage to come and see you...we are not such good friends but atleast we are good classmates so hearing of your accident i literally broke down...but after seeing you i have quite practically understood that everyday is not a sunday(joyful) but you have to face the never ending mondays(sort of nightmares)......and yeah not to forget you are a little lioness....get well soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was the first one here atleast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear for all ur wishes...and yeah, whenever u get time u may come, I stay so close to catal..!!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully penned down. Hoping for your speedy recovery.

    Keep penning! Best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garima,seriously you're a fighter babe. I know we haven't talked much,but we still are good friends. You nailed this blog. Totally. And yes hoping to see you very soon in school. The same Garima,who always has a cheerful smile on her face. Through all difficulties, you've never lost that instantly energizing smile of yours. I am really proud of that. I'm coming to meet you soon love. Get well soon as we need to make billions of memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garima,seriously you're a fighter babe. I know we haven't talked much,but we still are good friends. You nailed this blog. Totally. And yes hoping to see you very soon in school. The same Garima,who always has a cheerful smile on her face. Through all difficulties, you've never lost that instantly energizing smile of yours. I am really proud of that. I'm coming to meet you soon love. Get well soon as we need to make billions of memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always proud of you ...Garima ...God bless you ..dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazingly drafted.. wish you would have written more... best wishes for your speedy recovery
    Love,
    CA. Khushboo Ganatra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, more is yet to come, because I'm planning to write regularly :)

      Delete
  8. Admire your indomitable spirit and positive attitude. Successful is the person who never gives up and you undoubtedly are one of them. God bless you always and may HE fill your life with miracles big and small.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanted to add this: You've got a way with words...good expression that can be honed to a fine skill and May be a career choice! God bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must say, speechless spirit. Your way of fighting with circumstances with smile inspires others to do the same… wish you a super speedy recovery. Secondly; Not everyone has skill of giving words to their feelings… but you possess that… totally agree with JShah Ma’am it could be your good career choice. Stay blessed…

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said garima . everything happens for a reason and its proven.never give up.stay blessed and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really awesome.. the way u r utilising your time and being positive about the situation you r going through from last three months. The way u have written it shows the courage you possess to fight such a big tragedy. My respect and admiration for u has always increased, just because of your positivity. Get well soon dear... and keep making some awesome blogs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No words ..I (and I remember your mom too)was in tears when your mom first called me to give me this news..didnt want to show you those tears feeling you might break down or something..my mom still tells me what happened to you was terrible n she keeps saying,"bagwan bhalu kare"..you are as brave as a tigress (i used tigress coz I saw one in sundarban.)..I hope n know that you will be back on your feet asap.i will come to your place after a few days.����

    ReplyDelete
  14. Garima you are a very brave girl and I am very sure that God will bring a solution to you illness very soon. In fact I was thinking about you last night that we all have to learn so much from you. It's very remarkable for a child of your age to take this in such a right spirit. I end with a short and sincere prayer to get u back to your own self as soon as possible. Jist keep up the spirit and above all be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your writing shows a lot of sincerity and words straight out of your heart.. way to go girl.. God bless and keep writing 😘
    PS: You may not know me but I know you through your Khushbu masi 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful thoughts. That's what we call a true spirit of life. On your birthday all I can say is may God bless you n may all your wishes come true today n forever. May you feel TRUE happiness all your life. And just one simple advice. JUST BE YOURSELF. . .
    (Love Sapna Gupta counsellor from Bright school)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful n brave. No words to express. I read 1 or 2 msg of your achievement written by your mom in one group of CAs. Today she sent msg about your blog. Shocked. We donot know each other. Even i donot see your mom. But today after reading i want to know you more. Something i came to know.. a brave n courageous girl. I am a lecturer. Hense always attached to students. Keep it up dear.. Do your best...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Garima u r a fighter and I know u will be back on ur toes very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great thoughts and great language. Best wishes. Narendra Hindocha

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete