Monday 15 October 2018

A Step Ahead

Today I took a step further, faced my fear of being in a crowd. After two long years I am attending the Navratri celebration of my school. Of course, it is difficult. Looking at everyone around me dancing to this magical tune, all these happy faces, listening to this music and not being able to go and dance as I used to earlier. It is even more difficult considering the fact that this is the one festival I have always waited for every year. I don't remember ever being so excited for any other festival. And now, although stripped away from that beautiful crowd, dancing and enjoying every moment, every beat, I come to think of how blessed I really am. I can still feel the blood rush through my body every time I hear the familiar tune of Garba. I can still feel goosebumps on my skin every time my favourite-of-all Garba plays in the background and everyone jumps to the rythm. I am fortunate enough to feel everything I used to feel earlier.

The one big difference this time is that I am looking at all those subtle moments which earlier went unnoticed because of the adrenaline. Friends teasing each other. Lovers looking at each other, smiling and unable to look away. A garba player, high on this enchanting Navratri fever, losing herself in the moment. The beautiful Durga idol, devotees all around it, praying for all the happiness in the world. If not for my injury I would never have looked at these things. I realised there is so much beauty and serenity in this festival of colour, energy and adrenaline. It brings people together, connects people with themselves. Maybe somewhere in my heart I knew I was missing it too much, but all I did about it was to shirk away altogether from the festival. Maybe it isn't so bad to sit here, looking and listening and feeling it all but not participating myself. Maybe life isn't so unfair as people tend to assume.

After all this time in a wheelchair I realised a lot of things about life, happiness, priorities, friendship and whatnot. In the end all that matters is what we choose to remember and the way we choose to remember it. I have had my low moments when I cried my eyes out missing all the things I used to do earlier. But something about today is different. I am facing a lot of what I fear - crowds, Garba, sitting alone and watching while everyone is having fun. But today I choose to smile. I choose to remember the sound of this heavenly music and the feel of its beats and all the happy faces around me.

Today I choose to cherish each moment I witness of this celebration.

Today I choose to be happy.

31 comments:

  1. This is the way to live life.. you are truly inspiring for all of us.. be happy.. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is the day we are sitting on our office/work chairs and enjoying the beautiful words you have put together in this blog. Your perspective to life/festivals/likings etc has moved us and I ought to take a step back and try to visualize that you have mentioned in the blog.

    You are a source of inspiration for many of us. Keep it up Garima!!

    TRULY PROUD OF YOU..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great perception towards things!!
    Looking forward for some more blogs ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo to the most brave girl I personally know.. I wish everyone in the world including me have this type of positive view towards life then most of the problems resolved itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Garima I love your attitude. I personally dont enjoy the huge crowds and the loud music but today you have given me a new lense to view these festivities. You truly are an inspiration..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have learnt the true meaning of life, and this is the key to happiness. None of us has everything, and the key is to make the most of it. I'm very proud of you, my child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Well written... Truly Inspirational... You have motivated us to see positive side of life and value each and evrything that we have..

      Delete
  8. Great going Garima nd stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent attitude... Keep up the spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely brave move by you, Garima. Life is 10% what happens to us but 90% is how we react to it!
    Keep it up inspiring self and lot many others
    - Nilesh Khimsaria

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really explains how to be optimistic... hats off to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Garima, you can't imagine how overjoyed I was to see you today all geared up for garba. My eyes were looking for you when your class had come on the floor. But it's okay facing one's fears is the foremost things and that's what you constantly strive for. You are my Hero or may be Heroine.. Haha.. God bless you. I am rather blessed to have you as my student. You keep giving lessons on life and I wonder who is the teacher me or YOU.
    Love you alot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,I like the way you feel happy in all circumstance,and this is the true happiness ,keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best you teach positivity.the way garima you look at life is marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tbh I wasnt expecting you to come to school today and was low-key missing you But you came looking hot and all����. And I really enjoy spending time with you. I love you ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's so awesome Garima... I mean u have learnt the aspects of life so deeply and it is really difficult.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes it is...๐Ÿ˜… Thank you so much!

      Delete
  17. Prathamesh bonde15 October 2018 at 22:57

    Just keep enjoying ur lyf there is a lot more to enjoy than u can think of...and as i told u before write often because u really write beautifull����

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Garima,
    Your outlook on this experience from a different vantage point is very insightful and inspiring. Looking forward to your next post!
    With your wonderful perspective and positive attitude and you are unstoppable.
    Gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is wat we have to learn from our life and you have done it at such early stage. Come what may, look at the positive side.
    You are an inspiration to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your self confidence has kept you move ahead. Inspiring the world will be your moto in life

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Garima... hats off to you! your writing is not only Inspiring, but thought-provoking as well. Cheers 2 u n ur spirit! Stay blessed....

    ReplyDelete